Work for Good. Do you want a career with meaning and purpose? Children’s Home Society is one of South Dakota’s leaders in providing services to vulnerable children, women, and families.
As part of Children's Home Society, you will truly Work for Good every day—helping to change the world one day at a time, one child at a time, one woman, one family, one smile, hug, and heart at a time.
Sioux Falls Children's Home, a program of Children’s Home Society, in Sioux Falls, SD is currently seeking a Full-Time Cook to prepare meals and snacks for residential, day students and on-duty staff.
Sioux Falls Children's Home Impact Statement:
We empower children to overcome the trauma that has affected their lives and guide families toward strength and safety.
What You'll Do:
Your responsibilities as a full time Cook would include:
- Fulfill menu requirements, prepare meals & snacks for students & staff, and serve meals.
- Maintain cleanliness of the kitchen and storage areas by washing pots/pans/trays/dishes and taking out trash.
- Take and record food, refrigerator, freezer, and dish-washing machine temperatures.
- Transfer needed items from freezer to refrigerator.
- Cover, label, and date all suitable leftovers for storage.
- Attend team meetings as required and participate in required in-service training.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We'll Love About You:
- You have strong written and oral communication skills and are able to understand the needs of children.
- You are able to organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- You contribute as a team member and cooperatively and respectfully interact with others.
Schedule: 9:30am-6pm weekdays, plus every other weekend. Includes holiday rotation.
Experience/Education/Skills: High school degree or GED preferred; must be at least 18 years of age. Some experience in quantity food production desirable. Serv Safe Certified preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Requires standing for extended periods of time.
Compensation: $15.00/hr + applicable, full-time experience.
What You'll Love About Us:
- A Century of Service: Established in 1893, Children's Home Society of South Dakota is the state's oldest human service nonprofit organization. Through our many programs, we serve families, individuals, and children of all ages.
- Licensing & Accreditation: We are accredited by The Joint Commission and licensed by South Dakota Department of Social Services as a Child Welfare Agency. We are also certified as a Special Education Program by the Department of Education and Cultural Affairs.
- Our Mission: We empower children, adults, families, and communities to be resilient, safe, healthy, and strong.
- Our Values: We are better together. We choose kindness. We are tenacious.
- Health Benefits: Traditional Medical and Medical with HSA. Vision. Dental.
- Additional Benefits: Group Life and AD&D. Short Term & Long Term Disability. Additional Voluntary Life, Critical Illness, and Accident plans. Employee Assistance Program.
- Student Loan Payments & Tuition Reimbursement: Employees in this position are eligible for up to $150 per month in Student Loan Payments OR Tuition Reimbursement.
- Paid Time Off: Generous PTO package. 10 paid holidays.
- Pension Plan and 401k: Employer contribution up to 8% of employee’s compensation.
- Employee Referral Bonus Program: Employees are eligible for up to a $500 bonus if the internally referred candidate is hired.
- Training: On-site, industry-specific learning experiences.
- Loan Forgiveness: Qualifying employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Plan.
Must successfully complete all required background/pre-employment checks. EOE/AA.