Work for Good. Do you want a career with meaning and purpose? Children’s Home Society is one of South Dakota’s leaders in providing services to vulnerable children, women, and families.
As part of Children's Home Society, you will truly Work for Good every day—helping to change the world one day at a time, one child at a time, one woman, one family, one smile, hug, and heart at a time.
Sioux Falls Children's Home, a program of Children’s Home Society, in Sioux Falls, SD is currently seeking a Full Time Residential Youth Counselor. We empower children to overcome the trauma that has affected their lives and guide families toward strength and safety.
What You'll Do:
Your responsibilities as a Full Time Residential Youth Counselor would include:
- Maintain vigilant supervision and nurture children through one-on-one communication and care.
- Facilitate structured programs such as games and outdoor/indoor recreation.
- Assist children with hygiene and diet.
- Discipline as needed, respond to aggressive behavior, and maintain group order.
- Screen, assess, and manage children’s pain. Contact RN or emergency 911 when necessary.
- Document required messages and complete daily reports.
- Ensure safety standards and infection control policies are followed.
- Assist in keeping unit clean and orderly. Bag and launder when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We'll Love About You:
- You respond effectively, tactfully, and with maturity in highly-emotionally-charged situations.
- You understand the needs of children and are able to listen to and communicate those needs.
- You are able to contribute as a team member and cooperatively and respectfully interact with others.
Schedule: Set schedule that includes weekdays and one weekend shift. Hours are typically 2:00pm-10:00pm for Monday-Friday shifts and 8:00am-10:00pm for Saturday/Sunday shifts.
Experience/Education/Skills: High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree, or one to two years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: Must be able to physically restrain a child in ways taught by the Agency while being able to verbally communicate to the child and other staff. Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Compensation: $14.00/hr + applicable, full-time experience.
What You'll Love About Us:
A Century of Service: Established in 1893, Children's Home Society of South Dakota is the state's oldest human service nonprofit organization. Through our many programs, we serve families, individuals, and children of all ages.
Licensing & Accreditation: We are accredited by The Joint Commission and licensed by South Dakota Department of Social Services as a Child Welfare Agency. We are also certified as a Special Education Program by the Department of Education and Cultural Affairs.
Our Mission: We empower children, adults, families, and communities to be resilient, safe, healthy, and strong.
Our Values: We are better together. We choose kindness. We are tenacious.
Health Benefits: Traditional Medical and Medical with HSA. Vision. Dental.
Additional Benefits: Group Life and AD&D. Short Term & Long Term Disability. Additional Voluntary Life, Critical Illness, and Accident plans. Employee Assistance Program.
Student Loan Payments & Tuition Reimbursement: Employees in this position are eligible for up to $150 per month in Student Loan Payments OR Tuition Reimbursement.
Paid Time Off: Generous PTO package. 10 paid holidays.
Pension Plan and 401k: Employer contribution up to 8% of employee’s compensation.
Training: On-site, industry-specific learning experiences.
Loan Forgiveness: Qualifying employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Plan.
Must successfully complete all required background/pre-employment checks. EO/AA.